Today a game is being played in the parliament of India, they game, which is also known as 'confidence vote'. The biggest challenge in this game for the two teams fighting each other is to hoard maximum players in their camp. The camp that has atleast 271 players is bound to emerge as winner of the game, or in other words we can say is allowed to run the Government of India. It is a game of ego, honour, deals on deal, money, loyalty, power and bargaining. This game will be played in Delhi inside parliament between United Progressive Alliance (UPA) and National Democratic Alliance (NDA) + United Nation Progressive Alliance (UNPA) on 22nd July.
Why this situation came up was, because UPA wanted to go for a Nuclear Deal with Superpower America. As the deal is with America, it is imperative that America-loathers will certainly play a spoil-sport. And the Indian politicians are well known for their role as Killjoy. Again some points that I failed to understand. If these points are part of a psychological test that the politicians are made to undergo, I am sure each will fail.
1. Left Parties (CPI & CPM) withdrew its support from Congress on this issue. If the government falls, Left is in no position to make the government on its own. Either Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) or Congress will be part of the government even if general elections are held. Left can’t have an alliance with BJP and will never want to see BJP in power. So what is the point in making a government unstable?
2. Left are known for their anti-American policies. I am happy that the Left are not in power else millions of Indians currently working in call centres and IT industry would have remained unemployed. Imagine what progess India could have made in the last two decades.
3. Some said that the Nuclear deal will contribute to only 3% of India’s energy needs. What they mean is that our scientists are not capable to improving the performance, 3% of 113 billion population, who will benefit from Nuclear power, is a very small number and we have an infinite number of renewable sources of energy.
4. Thomas Friend man, author of The World is Flat is wrong and his masterpiece that says that the world is a level playing field should be banned. We will use goods bought from America and visit America for holidays but wont do any business with America. We don’t want Bill Gates, an American, to spend 26 billion $ for fighting HIV in India. Let these HIV infected patients rather die without treatment.
5. Some say that the deal is anti-Muslim. Bush led America attacked Iraq, a Muslim nation. Therefore, Bush is anti-Muslim. The deal is with Bush led America. Therefore, the deal is also anti-Muslim. We will oppose the deal even if Obama replaces Bush. So, the entire America is anti-Muslim. What a logical conclusion? I am really surprised by these views.
6. BJP wanted the deal when it was in power but if it supports the deal now, the government won't fall and it will not get an opportunity to be in power. BJP as an opportunist is now against this deal. Who cares about the deal? We want power.
7. If the two camps are offering 30 crores to each MP to buy support, then whats wrong when a government officer asks for a bribe of just 30 rupees?
8. Opposition says that Inflation is too high and the government policies are responsible for the surge. What they mean is that if elections are held now, it will be free of cost or opposition will sponsor the elections in order to save money and curb inflation. Assuming that they don't want subsidies on essential goods to be lifted .
9. Three-Fourth of energy needs in France are fulfilled from Nuclear Reactors. Does that mean France is a banana country? India’s coal reserves will last for another four decades only. What will happen after that?
10. People living in India or outside India want this deal to happen, but thanks to fake and misleading speeches of Politicians of India who are playing with the sentiments of general public.
There is a huge gap between words and deeds. Only the confidence vote will decide whether it saves the blushes for Manmohan Singh, The Prime Minister of India or will bring a lot of embarrassment to the country.
also read: Shekhar Kapoors views